Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Learning Spanish is hard when you aren't a 'niño' anymore

I attended my first Hercules CF football game this Sunday con Miguelito. It was a derby game against Valencia (our close neighbor to the north), plenty of fun. I even learned a bit of colloquial soccer vocabulary which is kind of useful. 'La puta madre' is used regularly for yelling at Valencia's team and fans, and also for any sort of unfortunate play. Hercules lost 2-1, but the crowd and players didn’t give up in any way. Not even when Valencia scored two early goals that were a class above what Hercules had to offer. El Estadio Jose Rico Perez was at 80%+ capacity(which is 30,000 or so). I live a 15-20 minute westerly walk to the stadium and Miguelito is even closer.

My other classes have been starting up this week. Human Resources Management, while it won’t teach me everything I might find interesting about Spain…is taught by a Spanish professor and it has an international feel to it that standard CIEE classes don’t have. There are fellow students from Norway, Finland (four blonde babybabes), Australia, Germany, England, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Greece, Gibraltar, Ghana, Netherlands, and Switzerland in addition to a handful of fellow Americanos. Quick trivia question; which one of the above mentioned is not a country? Why? Prize is the opportunity to spend 3 months with me working here, http://www.workaway.info/4617972854a8-en.html, in late summer/fall of 2012. I'm mildly serious.

I believe that the website workaway.info was brought to my attention early this year by my buddy Liam who was studying in Florence, Italy, but for whatever reason I never gave it a good look-over until yesterday. Such an awesome deal…you agree to volunteer 25 hours+ of your time each week and in return receive free room and board from ‘workaway’ hosts that are all over the world. Achieving my dream of working on a ranch in Mongolia never seemed so near. http://www.workaway.info/5343392244b5-en.html. Who doesn't want to learn to drink vodka the traditional Mongolian way?

-Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment