Monday, December 10, 2012

Live from Te Kuiti

Arrived in Te Kuiti an hour ago. The four days since Hamilton have been good. Alex and I did a pretty substantial road walk out of Hamilton and had to wait out a pretty monster thunderstorm during lunch.
That evening we did some of the Kamahunga Range as the weather cleared and camped at the base of mount Pirongia, the tallest mountain we've come across at around 3000 ft; didn't get to the picnic ground where we camped until after 9.
Big rain that night but it was relatively clear in the morning and we made the summit by noon- 10km or so- and then onto the first hut of the trip- sleeps six with mattresses- and ran into fellow TA hiker, Philip from Germany, as the weather turned.
Heavy rain and even some hail/sleet over the next 15 hours and I got through a lot of my book- "Tai Pan"- and the dawn arrived clear and beautiful!
There were then two days of bush/farm track walking and last night we camped on the south side of Waitomo.
This morning was a 11km strenuous farm/bush track and near the end I got kind of charged by a bull and had to make a run for the fence we were going over and Alex was ahead and in the process of getting over the fence. I was a bit spooked and I've since eaten a cheeseburger to feel better about it.
Next stop is Taumaranui after 5 days' walking through the Pureora Forest Park and even higher mountains! I think the terrain is starting to be more like the mountains I'm used to.

Pictures show me and Alex chasing the American dream, snow on Ruapehu in the far south from the hut on Pirongia, fellow hiker Philip, and the view from my tent two evenings ago at sundown.










No comments:

Post a Comment