Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Live from Hamilton

Currently on a rest day in Hamilton writing from an internet cafe that is for gamers. 
Some big days on the trail/road since Auckland.
Cruised down into 'King Country' which is the area I'm currently walking in and is so named because the Maori King lives in it.  We passed by the Marae, Maori religious/spiritual building, in Ngaruawahia which is only open once a year on Waitangi Day in March. 
Waitangi Day is in celebration of the Waitangi Treaty which was signed in the mid 1800s at some point by the ruling British guy, Lord Hobson I believe, so perhaps I'm related.  The relationship between the white colonists and the native Maori seems to be one of the most symbiotic in the post-colonial world, though I've heard that the Treaty of Waitangi, which set the basis for co-living among the whites and Maoris, was based on misunderstandings from botched translations on both sides.

I'm over 25% of the way through the trek, at about 780km walked or so.  Feet are feeling pretty good and morale too. 

My internet time is about to run out and I've got to get some flight/visa stuff sorted, but I'll post more stuff soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment