Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pre Te Araroa

Hello all,
Nick here, and I'm writing to let you know I'll be hiking the Te Araroa trail, which covers the length of New Zealand, over the next four to five months.  It 'officially' opened last December and it is roughly 1800 miles long (I think it might actually be longer based on a couple of different hikers' accounts I've read on the interwebs).
I'm potentially not as prepared at this very moment as I might like to be, but it'll all work out and I'm excited to get going.  I leave Sunday morning from Boston.

Other things I want to mention in this post:
1. I'm making my own homemade 'soda-can stove' which will burn denatured alcohol.  I made my first attempt this evening and it leaked.  Also, I'm using Narragansett cans from the six-pack I bought this afternoon.  Narragansett is the unofficial sponsor for the hike and I'll potentially do a bit of pro-bono advertising for them.  Assuming I succeed with the stove and bring it, it'll weight less than 1oz!  Check out how to make these if interested.  http://www.thesodacanstove.com/alcohol-stove/how-to-build.html

2. I'm in the process of kicking my physical caffeine addiction.

3. I'll post again soon with more exciting details like my hair/beard plans, ha!

Nick

1 comment:

  1. Watch out for Narragansett as a sponser. They were once supposed to sponser the Mass Mustangs, but bailed! Probably a wise decision on their part...

    Also, definately do not shave... at all

    ReplyDelete